Here's the list with my take:
1. Candy cigarettes. Yeah, I remember those. I also remember not caring too much for them. I actually put those right in the category with those nasty bunnies at Easter. The marshmallow ones? Oh, Peeps. Yuck.
2. The wax soda pop bottles and the wax lips. I'll give you the wax soda pop bottles, though I remember only eating those because they were in the bag. I sucked up the sugar water and chewed on the wax and then spit it out. Not exciting at all.
3. Homemade popcorn balls. I've never had one. Never. In my life. Never. Honestly. But we never got those in our trick-or-treat bags either, so... We did, however, get candied apples and caramel covered apples. Now THOSE I LOVED! I would eat them today if I didn't think they'd yank my teeth right out roots and all.
4. Candy buttons. I remember those from the lovelies' youth but not my own. Did we have those way back then? Now Sweet Tarts? Oh Yeah baby! We loved us some Sweet Tarts! Those BIG ones that took a layer of your tongue off? Those were great!
5. Circus peanuts. DIS-GUST-ING. And they were never in my bag on Halloween night. Those things are right up there with Peeps. But Sugar Daddies??? YES! Anything with caramel was always a favorite with this trick-or-treater!
6. Mint Juleps. Never heard of those until I read the article so, nope. But sign me up for some candy corn!
There are others on my list of worth-going-back candies. But they only listed six so I'll stop there as well.
But I will tell y'all that my all time favorite as a kid were these:
I'd love to hear your lists!
Pictures are from OldTimeCandy.com except for the popcorn balls and caramel apple which you can click to visit those sites.