The problem arises when I mention what I'm looking for to other people and they take it upon themselves to do my thinking for me. That's how I ended up with a Gateway laptop that I don't love. It's also how I ended up with one of these:
That I also don't love even though it, like my laptop, is red. I'm not opposed to trying out new thing but, when it comes to my technology decisions, I'd really prefer to make them on my own.
I knew that I didn't want an iPad. I am one of the few people in the world who does not find Apple products all that user friendly. But, I'd almost gladly take one over this NuVision tablet I received.
I had gotten as far as nixing the Surface or Surface Pro. Neither of those sounded like the ideal tablet for me. I mostly started there because of my aversion to Apple products and the fact that Terry and the boys on FOX NFL Sunday were using the Surface tablet. But, after further investigation, the Surface was not for me. I moved on.
My goal was to find something that was not only portable but that also had a detachable keyboard so that I could phase out my laptop.
The problems with the NuVision Tablet:
- The one I got is too big; it becomes awkward when I try to use the tablet without the case or the keyboard.
- The sleek design makes it difficult to hold onto without the case.
- The case houses both the tablet and the keyboard, If you open the thing wrong, the keyboard falls out onto the tablet. If you leave the keyboard out to use the case, it's awkward. Which translates into buying a different case for times you don't want to take the keyboard along.
- It doesn't work all the time. I mean, it starts up but it doesn't stay connected to the internet; the keyboard flashes off and on instead of being steady on when I am using it; when I am typing, sometimes it takes five times as long for the words to appear on the screen from when I enter the letters. I hardly ever use the keypad on the screen but it keeps flashing up and then down. Frustrating is the kindest word I can use for this.
- It loses internet connection constantly. I have to reboot and all is well. And then, other times, it works like a charm. Frustrating, again.
- No Microsoft Word. It comes with some program called Kingsoft Office and I wasn't impressed. I am using Google Docs on the tablet instead.
- The camera has yet to take a good picture. Everything has been blurry. And it's not the user. I've had others try it.
- It takes FORVER to fully charge. Sometimes overnight. Other times overnight and into the next day.
- When it works, it's fine- as in ok, not great.
- It's red.
- The case is quite functional when using both the tablet and keyboard.
- The battery lasts longer than my laptop battery.