So, yeah. Why in the world would I be stressed?
How, when life is not going the way you hoped it would at this point in your life, can we possibly find some peace? A bit of calm? Enjoy a moment of relaxation?
Here are 12 ways I take it down a notch:
- I get up earlier than everyone, walk the dog, take a nice shower and enjoy my coffee in peace.
- I keep my journal going on a daily basis. Some days that poor thing gets a lashing but, at least I get it out of my system. For a minute.
- I keep the wine in a hidden spot. It's mine and I am NOT sharing. I do NOT I feel bad about that.
- I buy new glassware and flatware. Since most of mine are MIA but no one has any in their rooms, I have purchased new ones. They are boxed and hidden away until I have my house back, bu it's nice knowing that I have them.
- I talk to friends with sympathetic ears.
- I recite my daily mantra: It's not worth the jail time. It's not worth the jail time. It's not worth the jail time...
- I put on my earbuds and crank up my music.
- I lie down and try to nap or deep breathe or something. Basically, this is just removing myself from the situation. It does help. Momentarily. Longer than a moment if I get the wine out.
- Recognize and try to get rid of those pesky expectations that make life so much more difficult than it needs to be.
- Turn my focus to a project. This helps take my mind off the stressful things and keeps me occupied for a while.
- I draw. I've started drawing some mandalas and a few other creative designs. It's almost like doodling and it does have a soothing effect on me.
- I look out the window or sit on the deck on windy days and watch the trees dance in the wind. Very soothing thing to do.