Y'all know what helps get me through the school year and is never a disappointment? The Hodgepodge! Come on, y'all, join us!
1. February 17th is National Random Acts of Kindness Day. It lands on the calendar one day after National Do Something for a Grouch Day (February 16) which somehow feels related. Perhaps the 16th inspired the 17th?
Tell about a time you performed a random act of kindness or were the recipient of one. I prefer not to draw attention to random acts of kindness as I feel that makes the motivation behind the act seem selfish. Will you make an effort to perform a random act of kindness on the 17th? No, and not just because there's a day set aside for it. The random part prevents me from planning ahead. Ha! Share details if you're so inclined, and if you have something specific in mind. Ok, ok. A backyard neighbor has installed a tall light in his backyard that he doesn't turn off so it shines into my bedroom. Would it be a random act of kindness to shoot the light out? No? I didn't think so. Obviously, my mind is not on the National Random Acts of Kindness Day.
2.What's the most uplifting or encouraging thing you see happening in the world right now? You may have to dig deep for this one. I love the videos posted here and there of people saving mistreated/lost/abandon/whatever animals. And then I want to go out and be allowed to deal with the ones who did the damage. I won't go into details of what I'd like to do to them because it's not nice.
3. Black olives, black currants, black grapes, black beans, blackberries, Oreos...your favorite food the color of night? I don't eat any of those things but I used to eat Oreos so I'll claim those as the favorite. Your least favorite on the list? All of them are equal in the least favorite category with the exception of the Oreos.
4. A while back I read (here) a list of twelve things you should do before you turn 50. They were-
travel when you have the chance, take care of your skin, learn a foreign language, make exercise a habit, leave a toxic situation, stop caring what others think about you, stop worrying, volunteer, spend time with your grandparents, pledge to work less, learn to cook an amazing dish, and seize an opportunity as it arises
What do you think of the list? Meh.What would you add or remove and why? I might add, lose the weight if you need to because it's worse later. If you're over 50, have you done all 12? Nope. If you're not yet 50, have you done any at all? What's on the list that you haven't done, but would like to do? Leave a toxic relationship.
5. Besides the classic Christmas flicks, what's your favorite film where winter plays a part in the setting? FARGO tops the list. THE SHINING is great too. And MYSTIC RIVER. Wasn't that one set in winter? Fantastic movie.
6.When did you last feel helpless, and what did you do about it? Just a few days ago when a friend from work lost his significant other. She passed away Friday night and we were all feeling pretty helpless. There wasn't much to be done about feeling helpless. Though my friend turned, as much as he could, to humor and positivity. He posted this on Facebook:
7. Share a favorite proverb. In honor of random acts of kindness day, I'll go with this one:
"Do not think lightly of good, that nothing will come of it. A whole water pot will fill up from dripping drops of water." - Buddha.
8. Insert your own random thought here. I'm fighting off some sort of allergy/sinus/respiratory gunk. I felt awful yesterday but went to school anyway. I felt the need to cough on all the student computers. Payback and all.
Meanwhile, on Grammy related news, DD3's DrummerBoy's band won Artists of Tomorrow and were streamed in the afternoon. Stupid YouTube won't let me get the video so the link is right HERE. If you go and watch (and, please do. The boys would be very appreciative), yes, DrummerBoy's (Ben) shirt is inside out. There is a story- something about a logo on the front but what I don't get is why the lovely person who insisted he turn the shirt inside out didn't cut the freaking tags off. Really, managerial type people, step up your game. Meanwhile, my lovely daughter will be taking said drummer boyfriend shopping and making sure he has spare shirts from now on. Regardless, exposure is everything and they got it! Congrats, boys! You are deserving!
The link, once again, is HERE.
Have a great rest of the week, y'all!