One thing that's always good, though, is the Hodgepodge! WooHoo!
1. Every January 1st since 1976 Lake Superior University has published a list of words they'd like to see banished from the Queen's English. Words may be banished due to misuse, overuse or just general uselessness (go here to read more about how the words were chosen). Here are the words/phrases they'd like to see banished in 2014-
selfie, twerk/twerking, hashtag, Twittersphere, Mr. Mom, T-bone, ____on steroids, the suffixes-ageddon, and -pocalypse added to anything and everything, from the world of politics the words-intellectually/morally bankrupt and Obamacare, and from the world of sports the words-adversity and fan base
Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Is there a word not on the list you'd like to add? Oh, I don't know. Selfie is annoying and hashtag is overused but nothing is truly offensive or bothersome. Though 'Mr. Mom' should be offensive to those dads to whom the title refers.
2. What one unfinished project nags at you begging to be completed in this new year? Just one? I wish. I have made a list of things like this that need my attention- a winter list and a summer list. We'll see how far I make it. Or if I even get started.
3. When did you last have a bowl of soup? What kind? Homemade or from a can? What's your favorite soup? We just had my potato soup a few days ago. And I just made chicken noodle last night. My soup is always homemade and my favorite (today) is potato.
4. Snowed in, snowed under, snow job...which one most applies to your life in recent days, figuratively speaking. Well, NOT snowed in. That's for darn sure. At least, not the way I'd like to be snowed in. There are other, metaphoric ways that I am snowed in but they're too depressing to discuss. I'm not really feeling snowed under right now, though I probably should when considering that list I mentioned in #2. And nobody has handed me a snow job lately.
5. What's the funniest movie you've ever seen, or at least one of the funniest? I'm going to go with Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
6. In general, would you say you're clumsy? No. So much so that, when I do have a clumsy moment, I get really frustrated with myself.
7. Elvis Presley was born on Hodgepodge Day (January 8th) back in 1935. Are you an Elvis fan? What's your favorite Elvis tune? If that's too hard, which Elvis tune do you dislike the least? Click here for a list of his songs. My grandmother loved Elvis. When I spent the weekends my grandparents, Grandmother and I stayed up late and watched Elvis movies. I don't love Elvis, but I don't dislike him either. I can certainly sing along with nearly all of his songs but I don't have a favorite. However, my brothers and I used to sing along (in our best Elvis voices) with Blue Christmas and that was so much fun. So I'll go with that one.
8. Insert your own random thought here. I would love to say that I am thrilled to be back at school but I am NOT. The break was nice and long and I want more. If funding runs out for my position for next year, I don't think I'll be shedding many tears. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely work with the best people in the field. I love each and every one of them. I love the kids too. What I don't love is having to get up and be there every day.
The Panthers are#1 in the NFC Southern Division. We play the 49ers on Sunday. Fair warning, that yelling y'all will be hearing? That's just me.